Wednesday, July 16, 2008

To Google or Not to Google, that is the question

I thought this might be more of an adventure than it ended up being. I couldn't remember the results of the first search after I started the second, so comparing them was difficult. This forced a more scientific approach to the whole process; write down my exact search terms, then try it, then print out the first page of results and compare the hard copies. What I found was that the same three sites came up in each search engine within the top five results, usually within two or three spaces of each other. Not much difference there. Do I need to do more trial to see if I think one is better than the other? I'm not sure but it doesn't fit within my time limit for the assignment.

I hoped for more exciting results, an outcome that said WOW! look at this search engine, but it didn't happen. So which one should I use? I think it's nice to have options and feel like Google doesn't control my internet life. The reality is that I am comfortable using Google and the refinements I can make on it. It's good to know about the others and the differences they might provide, but for me they don't offer much that I can't get from Google. So I will probably stick with that one for now.

No comments: